- In several countries, some new brides place tiny bags containing chicken’s
blood into the vagina prior to intercourse to prove the hymen was intact
before marriage. In other countries, women have placed congealed sheep’s
blood in their vaginas for the same purpose.h
- Sex and orgasm (from the Greek orga, meaning “to swell with
moisture”) can alleviate menstrual cramps and menstrual migraines.
While some couples avoid sex during menses, a diaphragm or cervical cap can
decrease the amount of menstrual blood.e
The brain is the most powerful sex organ
- Many researchers consider the skin to be the largest sex organ and the brain to be the most powerful.a
- According to the Kinsey Institute, the average speed of sperm during ejaculation
is 28 mph.b
- The record for the most female orgasms is 134 in one hour.h
- Between 10-12% of women in the U.S. have never experienced an orgasm. Marilyn
Monroe, an international sex symbol, reportedly never experienced an orgasm
with any of her famous lovers.h
- Because there is an increase in blood circulation around the genitals during
a woman’s period, she may experience more powerful orgasms during this
- Having sex regularly is known to have amazing health benefits, such as promoting
the body’s production of germ-fighting antibodies, strengthening the
pelvic floor, burning calories, stabilizing the menstrual cycle, and providing
natural pain relief through orgasms.a
- A woman who feels good about her genitals is six more times more likely to
be sexually satisfied than a woman who does not.a
- Women are capable of having different types of orgasms, depending on the
stimulation. The clitoral orgasm is the most commonly known, often the most
powerful, and the most often achieved. The second type is a vaginal orgasm.
The third kind is a blended orgasm, or when a woman’s vagina and clitoris
are simultaneously stimulated. Some women can also have an orgasm through
kissing, nipple stimulation, or simply pressing their legs together.d
- Not all sexual positions lend themselves well to female orgasm. Rear-entry
positions, for example, miss the clitoris entirely.e
- Female ejaculation is not a myth. A woman’s ejaculate has a similar
chemical makeup to semen (minus the sperm). A woman can ejaculate a teaspoon
or a cupful.a
Large breasts do not respond better sexually than small breasts
- Contrary to popular belief, large breasts do not respond sexually better
than small breasts.h
- The Gräfenberg Spot, or G-spot, is named after Dr. Ernest Gräfenberg
who in 1950 found that stimulation of a particular area in the vagina could
trigger powerful orgasms, female ejaculation, and arousal. Some women undergo
G-spot amplification, which is a surgery to enhance sensitivity in that area.h
- A man will ejaculate 1/2 trillion sperm in his lifetime.g
- The amount of semen (from the Latin for “seed”) produced with
each ejaculation is 1-2 teaspoons. The typical man will produced about 14
gallons of semen throughout his life.g
- A creature named Funisia dorothea is thought by most scientists
to be the first animal on the Earth to have sex, pushing back the history
of sex by up to 30 million years. Researchers have identified its capacity
for sexual rather than asexual reproduction. It was named after paleontologist
Mary Droser’s mother Dorothy Droser.i
- According to Polish anthropologist Bronislaw Malinowski, the natives of
the South Pacific coined the phrase “missionary position,” because
the newly arrived Christian missionaries were shocked that people in the
South Pacific had sex in several positions, not just one.h
- Intercourse has also been called “afternoon delight,” “dancing
the mattress,” “rumbusticating,” “shtupping,” “spearing
the bearded clam,” and “testing the mattress.”f
- In 26 states, impotence is grounds for divorce.g
Men who help with housework have more sex
- Men who help with housework also tend to have more sex.c
- Lisa Sparxx, a porn star, had intercourse with 919 men in 24 hours, setting
a new world record in 2004.a
- The pubococcygeal muscle (the PC muscle) is at the base of the penis in
men and surrounds the vagina in women. A strong, well-exercised PC muscle
will improve orgasms for both men and women.f
- At least 3/4 of all men and women in the U.S. have had sex by the time
they are in their late teens. More than 2/3 of sexually experienced teens
have had more than two sexual partners.b
- According to the 2007/2008 Durex Global Sex survey, couples in Greece have
the most sex, approximately 164 times per year. Brazil follows a close second
with 145 times per year. The global average is 103.d
-- Posted September 18, 2010
a Berman, Laura. 2008. Real Sex for Real Women: Intimacy,
Pleasure, and Sexual Well-Being. New York, NY: Dorling Kindersley Limited.
Asked Questions to the Kinsey Institute.” The
Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction. July 15, 2010.
Accessed: September 13, 2010.
c Garver, Lloyd. “Men:
Want More Sex? Do the Laundry!” CBS
News. September 17, 2007. Accessed: September 27, 2007.
d Hoppes, Diana. M.D. 2010. Healthy Sex Drive, Healthy
You: What Your Libido Reveals About Your Life. Encinitas, CA:
Health Reflections Press.
e Hutcherson, Hilda, M.D. 2002. What Your Mother Never
Told You about Sex. New York, NY: G.P. Putnam’s Sons.
f Keesling, Barbara, PhD. 2008. Men in Bed. New York,
NY: Hudson Street Press.
g Lamm, Steven, M.D. 2005. The Hardness Factor. New
York, NY: HarperCollins Publishers.
h Macleod, Dan and Debra. 2007. Lube Jobs: A Woman’s
Guide to Great Sex. New York, NY: HarperCollins Publishers.
i Smith, Lewis. “Fossil
Sheds Light on the History of Sex.” The Times. March 21, 2008. Accessed: September 12, 2010.